Tuesday, November 1, 2022

2022 Vol 4 - I Don't Know How I Survived


I wanted to wait until after Halloween season 2022 to share the latest mix, but I'd been listening to these songs, rearranging, and thinking about them for weeks. It's truly amazing how new music can provide the ideal soundtrack to our lives. 

The new singles from Blink-182 and Filter have been on heavy rotation since they dropped and I've listened to them over and over again. A long-lost Queen track recently surfaced with "Face It Alone," and it's like time travel getting to hear Freddie Mercury's voice again. I've got two from Long Island local bands Playing Dead and Smoke the Light (featuring former Pretty Polly drummer Stevie D!) on here. 

My favorite new band discovery is AL1CE, a moody electronic-based band; a few members of which support the live version of System Syn. Alisa Xayalith from New Zealand's The Naked and Famous has been releasing some solo singles, including the latest one on this playlist "I'll Be There." I watched the movie Meet Cute recently and they used this Damien Jurado track.

I was nervous there weren't enough "rockers" on this mix, and then Iggy Pop went and dropped a rad new single. Iggy always returns when we need him to. Same for Crosses. Of course, I snuck on two tracks from my own album with Pike Project. And I initially opened and closed this mix with two new ones from Death Cab For Cutie who inspired this Volume's title. But I love the Van Andrew tune so much (sent to me by my buddy Johnny) and felt like it had to be the opener. 

Lastly, like most people, I grew up a huge fan of THE KARATE KID movies, and have been loving COBRA KAI on Netflix. I stumbled upon a video using a new version of Peter Cetera's "Glory Of Love" cut to a deleted scene from COBRA KAI Season 3 with Daniel and Kumiko. It's so beautifully edited together, using clips from KARATE KID 2 that I just had to include it on this mix towards the end. Here's that video:



So without further ado... 

2022 Vol 4 - I Don't Know How I Survived

1. Sad Cowboys and Rock and Roll by Van Andrew
2. I Don't Know How I Survive by Death Cab For Cutie
3. EDGING by Blink-182
4. For The Beaten by Filter
5. Break Down by Pike Project
6. Time by AL1CE
7. Frenzy by Iggy Pop
8. Vivien by Crosses
9. This Is Why by Paramore
10. Face It Alone by Queen
11. boy by The Killers 
12. Take Me Back by Playing Dead
13. I'll Be There by Alisa Xayalith 
14. Place Your Debts by Jimmy Eat World
15. Wolf by Yeah Yeah Yeahs
16. Noise by The Devil Wears Prada
17. The Heroic Dose by Smoke the Light
18. The Shape of a Storm by Damien Jurado
19. Running From The Ghost by Billy Idol
20. Glory of Love by Michael Omartian & Peter Cetera
21. Everything Is Just Fine by Pike Project
22. I'll Never Give Up On You by Death Cab For Cutie