Tuesday, September 20, 2022

ANALOG LOVE: Cult Cafe Volume 001... The NY Screening!


Back on August 20th, 2022, I returned to Long Island, NY and finally got to show my latest documentary project, Analog Love. 2 years after all our festival screenings were canceled due to Covid. And one full year since it was released, digitally, by Passion River. And it was long overdue!

I only got to screen the doc one time for an audience and that was a "cast & crew" screening back in January of 2020. And the one thing I didn't anticipate is how communal the film would play. People were laughing out loud, agreeing with some of the track choices and techniques expressed by the interviewees, and just having a great time.

I was so, so excited to bring this movie on the road, mainly because of the great conversations I knew it'd inspire, post-screenings. But alas, it wasn't meant to be. At least not in this (awful) timeline.

Cut to August of 2022... I decided I wanted to go back to NY after a lengthy 8 year absence. After the turbulent few years we've all just had, I just wanted to be around my childhood friends again for a bit. While I was planning the trip, I was talking to my old friend and colleague Matt Roren, whom I played multiple shows with in our respective band, and who also programs the "Cult Cafe" screenings at the Cinema Arts Centre. They've been closed for the last 2 years too, so when he suggested their first screening back be Analog Love, I was so, so honored. I figured if I only got to screen the movie once, at least it'll be on my home turf with friends from high school, the band days, Tower Records, my family and beyond.

I arrived at the venue early so that I could catch up with Matt. And much to my surprise, he was in the process of finishing up a batch of handmade mixtapes he'd made to give away to the first attendees! And if he ran out of tapes, he had an expanded CD version too! And looking over the track listing, it really was curated based on the discussions in the film!


The screening itself was a blast. The Cult Cafe is truly a unique venue to see a movie, with a coffee house / bar vibe, and an enthusiastic audience that just wants to see something good together. And mixtapes (or Playlists) are a big part of every screening that Matt hosts there. In fact, the usual crew there gifted Matt with a mixtape for his grand return. 





It's been several weeks since that NY screening and I feel like so much has happened since then. (Including a second screening in Tempe, Arizona, which I'll save for another blog!) But the most important question on your minds... what was on that mixtape? 

Well, I finally had a bit of time to digitize and make playlist versions! So, here we go: track listing and embeds below!

ANALOG LOVE: Cult Cafe Cassette Volume 001

1. Panzerfukked by Funeral Dancer
2. You're Gonna Miss Me by 13th Floor Elevators 
3. Amsterdam by Peter Bjorn and John
4. Marie douceur - Marie colere by Marie Laforet
5. The Hero and the Madman by Thin Lizzy
6. Pilot Can at the Queer of God by The Flaming Lips
7. Unmarked Helicopters by Soul Coughing
8. The Gunner by True West
9. Intrigue by Marianne Faithful
10. A Face That Could Launch a Thousand Ships by The Paper Chase
11. Simply Beautiful by Al Green
12. Softcore by Pilotpriest
13. No More Sorry by My Bloody Valentine
14. I'll Stick Around by Foo Fighters
15. Slow Ride by Foghat
16. Can't You Hear Me Knocking by The Rolling Stones
17. Everybody Wants Some!! by Van Halen
18. Axel Fletch by Pilotpriest (Replacement track: Firefox)
19. Outburst by Wesley Willis
20. Trust In Me by Belly
21. Ultimatum by The Long Winters







I think it's long overdue we start sharing some more Analog Love inspired mixtapes and playlists, right? Stand by! More to come!