Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Now Spinning: The Best Vinyl Soundtrack Releases of 2017!


Well, another year has come and gone, and with 2017 winding down, we're each collectively looking back at our favorite things of the year. You know, the things that have enriched and enhanced our lives over the course of the last 12 months? Movies, music, events, experiences, games! I'll have blogs for some of those other things later this month, but for now, I'm going to focus solely on horror soundtrack vinyl releases!

As I've mentioned before, most recently on the "things we're thankful for" episode of the Shock Waves podcast, I couldn't be more thrilled by the horror soundtrack revival of the last few years. I've always loved and appreciated movie music, and now it's taken on this new life with these really elaborate vinyl releases, aimed at hardcore genre fans, such as myself.

Of course, it's all about the music, but I love that much like with the Blu-Ray collector's market, these labels have gone the extra mile to really deliver a physical product that encapsulates the essence of what we love about each individual title. There were so many great releases this year, both new and old, but let's look at a handful of the best "horror" ones, shall we?

A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET: BOX OF SOULS (Mondo/Death Waltz)


A few years back, Varese Sarabande released a great CD box set that collected expanded editions of all of the NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET scores into one package, complete with a collectible booklet and exclusive poster, wrapped up in a miniature version of Freddy's infamous red and green sweater. The NIGHTMARE franchise has a lot of history, and one of the most fascinating aspects of it is just how many well respected and noteworthy composers were brought on to craft the musical landscape of Freddy Krueger's world(s), most of them very early in their careers. And so, I always held out hope for a vinyl release of any of these scores, especially considering how difficult it is to track down original pressings. Finally, Death Waltz and Mondo have answered our prayers.

Granted, some fans balked at the $250 dollar price tag, but when you really do the math, that's about $35 a record for 7 LP's (8 if you count NEW NIGHTMARE as a 2-disc set), which is the average price for these special edition style releases individually. Dubbed the "Box Of Souls," this version came in a box with a booklet and all new original artwork for each film. And you know what? It's worth every penny. This is hands down the best vinyl release of the year. Gorgeous new cover artwork, great packaging and liner notes, and most importantly, each record sounds incredible. From Charles Bernstein's original themes, to Christopher Youngs' work on the sequel, or Craig Safan on 4, or even Brian May's work on FREDDY'S DEAD, it's all here.

Even better? Just like the CD box set, it includes all the extended, alternate, or deleted cues, in particular, the extra stuff for DREAM WARRIORS which is among my favorite stuff of the entire franchise. If you're looking for a Christmas gift? I'd hint to your loved ones this set. Or if you know a die-hard Freddy/soundtrack fan? You'd be a hero to get them this.

THE THING: Deluxe Edition, music by Ennio Morricone (Waxwork Records)


This was definitely the year of the stellar box set! And among one of my personal favorites was Waxwork Records new deluxe edition of Ennio Morricone's classic score for John Carpenter's THE THING. An original issue copy of this release has eluded me for years, and so I was excited when Waxwork announced it on their slate. But then came details of the "deluxe" version which retailed for about $70 bucks. Should I go for it? Or wait until I stumbled upon an original issue which sells for roughly the same price? I went for it. And the moment it was in my hand, I didn't regret this purchase one bit. The outer sleeve cracks open and harbors the actual record inside. There's an interview with Carpenter in the notes, and the record itself sounds and looks as wonderful, as it is dreary. In particular, one touch I loved is how the center of the LP is a drop of blood intended to evoke the infamous "blood test" scene. It's details like this that prove these are releases by fans, for fans.

BATES MOTEL, music by Chris Bacon (iam8bit)


Here's one that completely took me by surprise! I already liked the music from composer Chris Bacon for THE BATES MOTEL series. After all, I'm considered something of a PSYCHO expert, and was a devoted viewer of the A&E series. Some digital versions of the show's music have existed before, but then iam8bit pulled out all the stops for their vinyl release! When this thing showed up at my door, I felt like a kid playing with an incredibly elaborate and delicate toy! The centerfold is a "pop-up" with the Psycho house, and let me tell you... on several occasions, I opened this thing too wide and was unable to close it! The letter from the composer comes on Bates Motel stationary. And the sleeves (which are too big to actually put the LP's in) are beautiful portraits of Norman and Mother facing each other. The records themselves are white with blood red swirls, re-enacting the shower scene whenever you spin 'em. This sold out pretty quickly, but I'm thankful to have snagged one of the first ones hot off the presses!

HELLRAISER, music by Christopher Young (Lakeshore Records Release)


Christopher Young's score for HELLRAISER is legendary, as is the suffering the cenobites, led by Pinhead, promise in Clive Barker's masterpiece movie. And this year, it got multiple releases on vinyl. Mondo had done a pretty beautiful looking version with original art by Matt Ryan Robin, as well as a 7 inch box set version meant to mimic the Lament Configuration box. But I went for Lakeshore Records standard release, which featured the original theatrical one-sheet poster as the cover art. The LP itself came in blood red, and is now one of the prized additions to my collection! When it comes to the horror classics, you can't go wrong with the original score for HELLRAISER!

JOHN CARPENTER: ANTHOLOGY (Sacred Bones)


Who would've thought that at age 69, going on 70, the "Master of Horror" John Carpenter would find massive success as a rock star?! After a successful tour promoting his two original albums LOST THEMES and LOST THEMES II, and a handful of re-recorded classics released last year as EP's, Sacred Bones and Carpenter (including his bandmates Cody Carpenter and Daniel Davies) tripled down and delivered ANTHOLOGY this year. As the title implies, this is a collection of all of his indelible themes from his entire filmography. For those (such as myself) that went for the "deluxe" edition, we were treated to a bonus 7 inch featuring the VILLAGE OF THE DAMNED and BODY BAGS themes, as well as a series of collectible cards, each one with a single drawing to represent each movie. You can get this digitally still, and the standard LP is also available.

ALIEN: Complete Motion Picture Soundtrack, Deluxe Edition (Mondo)


I already have the original issue of Jerry Goldsmith's landmark score to Ridley Scott's ALIEN. So, it took a few moments of internal struggle before I pulled the trigger on this new expanded Mondo release, also being offered in a "deluxe" package. Pre-orders went up way back in May (I think), and so when this showed up at my apartment in early December, I had almost completely forgotten about it. Then I pulled this bad boy out. And to think... I hesitated. This features all of Goldsmith's music for the film across two LP's, the original soundtrack release remastered, and a 4th LP of un-used cues, demos, and other treasures. The packaging itself is in a sturdy box, and the art for each LP chronicles the evolution of the ALIEN during the course of the first film. If ALIEN ranks up there as one of your favorite genre films of all time, this is a must own.

THE DEVIL’S CANDY (Mondo)


How 'bout music for some new films? One movie I caught earlier this year on the big screen was Sean Bryne's latest THE DEVIL'S CANDY. I've been eagerly anticipating the follow up to THE LOVED ONES since I saw that movie, and this did not disappoint! Between the unique story, the family dynamic on screen, Ethan Embry's performance, and the dreary metal-esque score by Michael Yezerski, this is one of my favorite horror movies of 2017. So, I was thrilled when Mondo/Death Waltz added it to their robust queue for the year. This one is still available on vinyl, and you can sample it digitally via the Bandcamp page.

THE BLACKCOAT’S DAUGHTER (Mondo)


I first saw the debut feature from Oz Perkins, then titled FEBRUARY, at Beyond Fest a few years back, and the experience was so mesmerizing that I was anxious to revisit it, in particular because of the music that his brother Elvis Perkins composed for the film. Thankfully, the movie finally got a release earlier this year, and once again, Mondo/Death Waltz delivered the score to coincide with the release. Although the first pressing of the LP sold out, it looks like they're prepping for another pressing of it. You can also find this one digitally on their Bandcamp. I bought both because this is a wonderfully weird and moody soundtrack, complete with everything from ambient score to mini-folk tunes. It's really great and you should check it out ASAP.

RING OF DARKNESS (Four Flies)


I had never heard of RING OF DARKNESS aka Un'ombra nell'ombra, until I attended an LA Rendezvous! event with my TWO DUDES TALKING co-host Tony Giles, where they screened a VHS of the movie, and were celebrating the release of this accompanying soundtrack LP from Four Flies. Within the first 2 minutes of the movie, I knew I had to own this score. It's that great. And as the movie progressed, I was pleasantly surprised to recognize a lot of the music from the 1982 Juan Piquer Simon masterpiece PIECES. Highly recommended and you can still find the record at the Two Headed Dog store!

OPERA, music by Claudio Simonetti (Rust Blade)


Here's another release that caught me off guard. I was already sold on Rust Blade's release of Claudio Simonetti's music for Dario Argento's OPERA. The LP arrived, I put it on, and was grooving along. When I flipped it over to side B, I was treated to new remixed versions of Simonetti's score! And they were spectacular! In fact, the one embedded below is one of my personal fave remixes this year. Pick this up if you can!!!



EVIL DEAD 2 (Waxwork Records)


This is a no brainer. For years, I've often cited EVIL DEAD 2 as not only my favorite horror movie, but my favorite movie of all time. That's shifted slightly. I go back and forth now between this and Hitchcock's PSYCHO, but I will always hold a special place in my heart for the EVIL DEAD 2 score. Hence, I was thrilled to see it get the Waxwork Records treatment, complete with new artwork fully decided on by fans that voted online. Looks great, sounds great, and it's Joseph LoDuca doing EVIL DEAD! Must own.



PREDATOR (Real Gone Music)


Real Gone Music has also upped their game this year and one of my most coveted scores long overdue for a vinyl release was PREDATOR by Alan Silvestri! This gatefold beauty, which came in green and brown "campo" coloring, or even rarer "infrared" sold out pretty quickly. Here's hoping the demand will call for another pressing, and maybe PREDATOR 2!

FRIDAY THE 13TH: THE FINAL CHAPTER (Waxwork Records)


Whereas Mondo gave us all the NIGHTMARE scores all in one shot, I've rather enjoyed Waxwork Records approach to the FRIDAY THE 13TH soundtrack releases; we've been getting them once a year, chronologically, and they normally go on sale on a Friday the 13th. Naturally, the funny thing about the FRIDAY series, at least for the first 6 or so, is that they basically use the same Harry Manfredini music over and over again, but the revealing liner notes by director Joseph Zito explain how the score for THE FINAL CHAPTER came to be. And although, yeah, most of it is familiar, there's a slightly darker tone to it than from previous films, which 100 percent fits PART 4, which I always found to be the kick-ass, no holds barred, angry as hell Jason Voorhees movie. And I mean, that packaging? Something every FRIDAY THE 13TH fan can get behind!

Mario Bava’s BLACK SABBATH (Dago Red)


Dagored does some incredible releases of rare or overlooked underrated soundtrack scores. This was a random find during one of my Amoeba visits in Hollywood where I was completely unaware that the music for Bava's BLACK SABBATH had come out again. Cool plastic insert, great moody music, and the complete spirit & tone of one of the best horror anthologies ever made.

ESCAPE FROM LA (Real Gone Music)


It's been a hell of a year for John Carpenter, and it continues to be! We've gotten ANTHOLOGY, re-issues of his CHRISTINE score, along with a new music video for the CHRISTINE theme, directed by the man himself. And we even got a 2 LP vinyl release of his collaboration with the late, great Shirley Walker on ESCAPE FROM LA. After all these years, I think my favorite piece of original Carpenter music has to be the theme to ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK, and so it was fun to revisit this completely rocked out version of those themes. And it comes in "Limited Test Tube Clear with Plutoxin Virus Green Splatter Vinyl?" Sign me up!

BRAIN DAMAGE (Terror Vision)


Oh, bless the find fiends at Terror Vision for putting out Gus Russo & Clutch Reiser's score for arguably Frank Henenlotter's best film BRAIN DAMAGE. The filmography of Henenlotter is like no other, and the same can be said with the accompanying music for all his films. This one's still available, and you can buy the LP, or stream the music digitally direct from the Bandcamp page. Do it. Make Aylmer proud!

CREEPSHOW 2 (Waxwork Records)


I'm going to keep these next few picks short, because they're all Waxwork releases, and what more can I add? They all speak for themselves. One of their earliest, most successful release was for the original CREEPSHOW, and so it seemed inevitable that they'd eventually release the music to CREEPSHOW 2 by Les Reed and Rick Wakeman. Musically, it's not as strong as John Harrison's CREEPSHOW score, but it's still pretty darned good, and quite frankly, the comic book-esque packaging will win me over every time.

THE EXORCIST (Waxwork Records)



Another one that I already owned the original issue of, but had to get is THE EXORCIST. Look - it's one of the most famous horror movies of all time. Every one should own this music. But the new art is terrific, and most importantly the remastered version sounds better than ever. I love that director William Friedkin took a prog rock song like "Tubular Bells" and made it into something that's instantly scary sounding.

THE BABADOOK (Waxwork Records)


I'm squeezing this one in because it's been in the works for a long, long time, and it literally just hit my inbox. Much like the elaborate packaging for THE BATES MOTEL score, this one opens up with a pop up of the Babadook. It's almost as unsettling as the music itself! Thankfully, the shrieks of the film's kid are nowhere to be found here.


I also have to mention the HOUSE OF WAXWORK comic book. This year, we saw the release of Issue #1, and while I had always thought the concept behind a comic book with accompanying score was cool, I was not prepared for how much I actually enjoyed the experience of reading the book while spinning the tunes. Side A is the HOUSE OF WAXWORK theme (co-composed by Douglas Pipes) and then the music for "Occult Slumber Party." Side B is the music for "The Lighthouse Keeper." The themes run just about the length it would take you to read each story, and so they succeeded in providing a whole unique TALES FROM THE CRYPT/CREEPSHOW-esque interactive experience. I also dig the David Lynch-looking Die-Rector! I'm sure these suckers take a lot to produce, but count me in for future issues!

Notable mentions: All the TWIN PEAKS releases.