Sunday, January 15, 2017

The CJH Sessions: You'll Never Hear These Songs The Same Way Again

I love song breakdowns.

I wasn't fully aware of just how powerful an experience it'd be to single out each individual instrument, and analyze them one by one, until I first stumbled upon the DVD Classic Albums - Nirvana: Nevermind. Basically, these were original VH1 documentaries that would focus on a specific classic album, and then talked to everyone involved in the creation of that album. They'd go track by track and play each individual instrument one at a time so you could really understand the role that each musician played into its canvas. In the "Nevermind" one, there's a bit where producer Butch Vig breaks down "In Bloom," which was one of the first tracks they recorded for the album. Now, I've always liked the song, although it was never one of my favorite Nirvana singles. But it wasn't until I saw this that I absolutely fell in love with it. Check it out:



It makes you realize just how great a rhythm section Dave and Krist were for Nirvana. It's also so cool hearing both Kurt and Dave's isolated vocal tracks, especially since we're now so used to Dave's voice in the Foo Fighters. Ever since I watched this doc, I've never been able to hear this song in the same way. I now love it and am in awe of the fact that back in 1991, 3 guys walked into a studio and recorded this. They didn't need freakin' autotune for the vocals. They didn't do any studio wizardry. They just wrote great songs and recorded them exactly as they'd rehearsed them. Modern bands really have no excuse.

Several months back, my roommate Dave Foy asked me if I wanted to join him to go see his buddy Christian James Hand do a live breakdown at the Swing House Studios in Atwater in Los Angeles. I'd never heard of him before this, but he's all over 95.5 KLOS and hosts a similar show titled "The Session" which airs on the station on Sunday evenings.



For this live version, however, Christian picks 2 completely different songs, and spends about a hour on each with a brief intermission in between. The show we happened to go to, his two selections were RUSH's "Tom Sawyer" and OZZY's "Crazy Train." Within the first 5 minutes when he just played Neil Peart's isolated drum track, I knew I was in for a treat. And I don't even like Rush! Yet, after spending 60 minutes hearing what each of these guys does in the song, I had a completely new-found respect and admiration for the band. And then? Ozzy! Randy Rhodes! "Crazy Train" was just as rich an experience as the first track. Listen for yourself:

OZZY OSBOURNE - Crazy Train:



I became obsessed with trying to make sure I could catch his show every month. The next one I went to, I bought a bunch of tickets in an attempt to turn some mutual music loving friends onto what he does, and everyone freakin' bailed on me at the last second! But, whatever. I still went by myself and this time, it was Guns N Roses Vs David Bowie. He broke down "Welcome To The Jungle" and "Ziggy Stardust." And it was amazing.

Look, I was only 11 years old when Guns N Roses "Appetite For Destruction" came out. Of course, I loved it at the time. But in all these years, I never stopped to analyse the craftsmanship of the songwriting on any of their music. Basically, they were rockin' degenerates that made parents nervous, and that gave us all the more reason to crank their tunes. Hearing "Welcome To The Jungle" piece by piece is really ear opening. Duff McKagan has got to be one of the most underrated bass players out there. Slash and Izzy were no slouches either. They could freakin' play!

The Bowie segment felt even more special, given that none of us have gotten over his untimely death. Breaking down Ziggy Stardust was a thrill, but it was really being in a room full of strangers, sitting in silence, and listening to Bowie's isolated vocal track that broke us all. There's never been a voice like the one that came out of that man, and he's gone. At one point, Christian put up only his acoustic guitar and vocals, so we got to examine and listen to just what Bowie was playing on Ziggy Stardust. And as I've said countless times on this blog, it's truly amazing how music can connect us. (That track is not embeddable, but you can listen to an abbreviated breakdown right here.)

By the way, the other thing I should mention is that Christian has an unconditional love of Phil Collins. As a fellow drummer himself, he often brings up, cites or compares things to the work of Collins, which I find tremendously endearing.


The first "Session" of the year 2017 focused on Faith No More's aptly titled first single from their album The Real Thing "Epic." Yet again, I've always loved the song, and now I love it even more knowing what each and every person is doing in it. I mean, the drums & bass isolated truly make-up the sound that Rage Against The Machine have gotten famous for. And I never realized it, but Roddy Bottum is, in fact, the greatest name for a keyboarder player ever. (And he's in Faith No More.) A fan posted that particular episode to You Tube, so it's embedded below for your convenience.

FAITH NO MORE - Epic:



There's so many more of these to comb through and listen to. I've already made my way through just about all of these. If you head over to iTunes, you can do a search for "Christian Hand Song Breakdowns" in podcasts, and you'll find a list of abbreviated versions of all of the above. As a "grungster" myself, I'll share one more of my personal favorites, his breakdown of Alice In Chains' "Man In A Box," a song I always liked but didn't realize was truly as exceptional as it was until hearing this. Check it:

ALICE IN CHAINS - Man In A Box:



While the radio versions are cool, and all worth a listen, I can't recommend enough going to catch one of his live shows. They're fully improvised and that makes them have a certain air of magic to them. His next planned one is for Saturday, January 21st, and it's a breakdown of a QUEEN song and a PANTERA song! Followed by an encore of "Bohemian Rhapsody," so that should be quite something. Takes places once a month at the Swing House Studios in Atwater Village, Los Angeles.

Keep tabs by "liking" his Facebook page here. And who knows? Maybe I'll see you there!